More than 75 years of collective retail experience was represented at the October 12th holiday retail marketing panel presented by the Greater East Aurora Chamber of Commerce at the Roycroft Campus Power House to help local retailers work toward a successful 2017 Christmas holiday shopping season!
This event came about as a result of feedback from local retailers on how to better take advantage of the holiday shopping season and more importantly how to carry that momentum over to the first quarter of 2018 when retail sales slow down.
The 5 panelists: Kelly LoTempio, Information Officer for the Buffalo area SBA; Don Vidler, Vidler’s 5&10; Sandy Gingerich, Marilla Country Store; Antoinette Grote, Operations Manager, TJ Maxx and Jen Reisdorf, The Bookworm provided valuable information to the 25 attendees as discussion was facilitated by Victoria Sturman, Bright & Brainy Creative Marketing.
Feedback and ideas from those in attendance also added to the value of ideas exchanged.
Attendees will receive an outline of the information shared to incorporate in their holiday planning.
The Greater East Aurora Chamber of Commerce, in its continuing effort to support local businesses, will be hosting a retail peer panel to provide local retailers and restaurants an opportunity to exchange marketing ideas to help bolster their Christmas holiday sales and work to carry that momentum well into the first quarter of 2018. This will help small businesses maintain their viability at a time that is typically slow during that portion of the calendar year.
The event will take place Thursday, October 12th, 8am to 9:30am at the Roycroft Campus Power House/Visitor Center first floor Assembly Room.
The panelists are experienced in the retail industry and will help to kick start discussion with the audience on holiday marketing. The group will be facilitated by Victoria Sturman of Bright & Brainy Creative Marketing and panelists will include Don Vidler, Vidler’s 5&10; Sandy Grunzweig, Marilla Country Store; Jen Reisdorf, The Bookworm; Kelly LoTempio, Small Business Administration and a TJMaxx representative.
Participants will receive a copy of all the discussion points and ideas generated during the meeting.
There is no cost and the program is open to members and non-members. Representatives of business sectors other than retail are also invited to attend.
Please contact the Chamber at 652-8444 or email@example.com to make a reservation.
NYS PAID FAMILY LEAVE ACT WILL IMPACT ALL BUSINESSES!
SEPTEMBER 12TH CHAMBER SEMINAR TO ADDRESS THIS TOPIC
On June 22nd the Chamber hosted a seminar on the upcoming NYS Paid Family Leave Act presented by Bene-Care.
This mandate which goes into effect January 1, 2018 will impact all businesses.
Jonelle Marchese and the staff from Bene-Care did a great job in rolling out information on this legislation discussing what businesses need to know and prepare for as we get closer to that January 1st date.
25 businesses attended the first meeting. With the positive feedback we received and with the need to inform all businesses, we will be presenting another seminar on this topic on Tuesday, September 12th, 10am at the Southside Commerce Center Auditorium, 300 Gleed Avenue.
There is no charge for GEACC members and a $10 cost for non-members.
We do require RSVP’s so we can insure our presenters and host can accommodate us in proper fashion. 652-8444 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
So get this date in your calendar now so you can be ready when this legislation goes into effect.
Also, below is a testimonial not only on the quality of the June 22nd presentation but also on the value the Chamber brings in offering these and other educational opportunities.
“Just wanted to thank the Chamber for the extremely beneficial meeting that they arranged this morning with Bene Care. To me, this is the type of “value-added” information that pays for a chamber membership by itself. And it’s not one of the public things the chamber promotes, but one of the behind-the-scenes activities that is extremely important to any business.”
Don Vidler, Vidler’s 5&10
The Greater East Aurora Chamber of Commerce is seeking nominations in various categories for their 72nd Annual Business Recognition Awards, Tuesday, September 26th at the Roycroft Inn.
These awards recognize significant contributions to the Greater East Aurora community by businesses, organizations and individuals.
Categories and criteria include:
- “SHOWCASE AWARD” – A Chamber member business that has shown growth in sales or employment and/or has made a significant contribution to their industry and/or has had an impact on the local Greater East Aurora economy.
- “HAPPENING AWARD” – An organization holding an annual event in Greater East Aurora that draws a significant audience, promotes the area and has a positive impact on local businesses.
- “JOURNEY AWARD” – A member business, organization or individual that has played a key role in promoting tourism in Greater East Aurora and/or works as a partner with other local businesses to promote local tourism and/or is a “role model” in the hospitality industry, i.e. customer service, cross promotion, etc.
- “EXCELLENCE IN SERVICE AWARD” – An employee of a member business that exemplifies the highest degree of customer service.
- “VISIONARY AWARD” – A Greater East Aurora business, school, association or individual that promotes student preparation for the workplace by acting as an advocate for workforce development issues, career technology education and the skilled trades and/or plays an active role in partnering with other businesses and schools in supporting career exploration activities, i.e. internships, business tours, mock employment interviews or support of employability portfolios.
- “CIVICS AWARD” – An individual(s) who has contributed significant support to a Greater East Aurora not-for-profit or service club for the betterment of the GEA community and its residents.
- “LEGENDS AWARD” – Representing the Chamber’s Hall of Fame induction that features an individual, business or organization that has had a long standing impact of 50 years or more on the GEA community.
Event Title and Supporting Sponsors include Bene-Care, Fisher-Price, Benderson Development, Bank of Holland, Bright & Brainy Creative Marketing, Marilla Country Store, Surdej Web Solutions, Aurora Audiology & Speech Associates, Aurora Optometric Group, Comfort Funeral Home, Independent Nursing Care, Moog, M&T Bank
Nominations and a brief explanation in support of the nomination are due to the Chamber office at 652 Main St., email@example.com by Monday, August 14th. For further information or questions contact the Chamber office at 652-8444.
The Greater East Aurora Chamber of Commerce’s 48th annual Street Festival & Sidewalk Sale will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, July 29, along Main Street in the heart of the Village of East Aurora. The event will feature local vendors, plenty of activities for kids and families, food and entertainment, Chalk Walk Murals, Operation Kids and much more!
Opening festivities will include the National Anthem at 9:45 a.m. with the American Legion Post #362 Color Guard. Other highlights will include the popular Chalk Walk Murals sponsored by the Town of Aurora Recreation Department from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., a West Herr Buick GMC, West Herr Cadillac new car display from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at TNT Oil Change, Holland NASCAR Race Car display from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., and DJ entertainment from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Other highlights include “Toys From the Attic,” a Fisher-Price Collectors Club show and sale in the Masonic Lodge on Main Street from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; a performance by the Rince Na Tiarna Irish Dancers at 10:30 a.m.; Kempo Martial Arts Academy demonstration at 11:30 a.m.; Hoffman School of Dance performance at 12:30 p.m.; and a “Crescendo” Barbershop Quartet performance at 2 p.m.
Guests can visit tomorrow’s business owners from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Operation Kids tent. This educational program for young entrepreneurs is sponsored by University Pediatric Dentistry at Toytown. Supporting sponsors include Astronics Corporation, Bright & Brainy Creative Marketing, Fisher-Price, Hartford Badges, Hidden Valley Animal Adventure, Tops Friendly Markets, West Herr New York Buick GMC and West Herr New York Cadillac.
The East Aurora Street Festival & Sidewalk Sale is presented by West Herr Buick GMC and West Herr Cadillac. Supporting sponsors include Buffalo Spree, Hometown Entertainment Group, Liberty Mutual Insurance, Sahlen Sports Park and Seneca Health Care Center.
Plenty of free public parking is available behind many of the Main Street businesses. For more information, please call 652-8444 or visit www.eanycc.com. You can also follow the Greater East Aurora Chamber of Commerce on Facebook for frequent updates.
Actor William Fichtner (The Lone Ranger, The Perfect Storm, Black Hawk Down) from Cheektowaga, New York, will make his Directorial debut with Cold Brook, scheduled for WNY production this summer in Buffalo and East Aurora.
The film stars Fichtner, along with Kim Coates (Sons of Anarchy, Black Hawk Down, Resident Evil: Afterlife) and Harold Perrineau (Zero Dark Thirty, 28 Days Later, Lost).
Fichtner says, “Cold Brook” tells the story of two ordinary guys in a small town who embark on an extraordinary adventure. It’s a story about coming home; something everyone, everywhere has an innate desire to do”.
The film’s original screenplay was written by William Fichtner and Cain DeVore.
Local filming in East Aurora will begin mid-July.
Fichtner would love to have area residents involved as extras.
The scenes being shot in East Aurora take place in the area of Main St.
There will be two bar scenes with approximately 30 extras needed. They must be adults, 18 years and older.
Another scene will be in a coffee shop. For that scene they are looking for 5 extras.
Anyone interested in being an extra should email firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email they need to include their name, contact information (please specify in the subject line if you are from East Aurora) and a recent picture. The production team will respond with additional information.
For additional information contact the Greater East Aurora Chamber at 652-8444.
You’ve probably already heard about Chamber Week already but we would very much like you to join us for a great week of activities.
Every day offers you an opportunity to network, to explore opportunities the Chamber offers to help you grow your business and to have some fun!
- MONDAY – Stop over at the Chamber office for some dessert after lunch as we cut our birthday cake celebrating our 72nd year of serving the Greater East Aurora business community – Noon – 1:30pm
- TUESDAY – Visit with various representatives from the SBA, SCORE, the Small Business Development Center, Bene-Care, Stellar Dental, BOCES and others to learn about the services and connections you can make that may be a resource to help your business grow or save you some dollars. Join us at one of the most unique venues in East Aurora, the Fisher-Price Heritage Center, 8am – 9:30pm.
- WEDNESDAY – Network and fun in the AM with the Chamber’s Networking Group, 7:50 – 9am at the Iron Kettle Restaurant – ($5) and later in the evening food, drinks and actual race car driving on the track at Holland Speedway – 5:30 – 7:30pm. No cost.
- THURSDAY – Business After Hours at Mambrino King, 5:30 – 7:30 pm – Complimentary drinks and wine tasting at another great East Aurora venue!
- FRIDAY – A special lunch time event with a hot dog roast at the American Grille in Elma – Noon – 1:30pm. No cost except for the cash bar.
So plan on joining us next week for the fun!
RSVP’s required as a courtesy to our hosts – 652-8444. Members, non-members and employees welcome!
Join us for an intimate workshop to get connected directly to the Human Capital Management experts who can advise on the most pressing HR concerns. View workshop details!
The Greater East Aurora Chamber of Commerce will be featuring the resources and strengths it brings to help local businesses achieve their goals during Chamber week Monday, June 12 through Friday, June 16.
Each day that week the Chamber will highlight a specific activity or program which will offer the opportunity to present the different aspects of its work in helping to promote Greater East Aurora community businesses while working to create an environment for businesses to succeed.
All GEA businesses, members, non-members and members of the community are invited to attend and meet Chamber board members, staff and other area business people.
- Monday, 6/12 – Noon – 1:30pm – Chamber Week Kickoff – Chamber Office – 652 Main Street
Join us for the Chamber’s 72nd Year Celebration with a birthday cake! Federal, State & local elected officials invited.
- Tuesday, 6/13 – 8am – 9:30am – Business Resource Day -Fisher-Price Heritage Center on the Fisher – Price Campus, 636 Girard Ave. – Meet with representatives from the SBA, SCORE, Small Business Development Center, Women’s Business Center at Canisius College, ECIDA, Bene-Care, P-Tach, BOCES II Ormsby Educational Center and more.
- Wednesday, 6/14 – 5:30pm – 7:30pm – Holland Speedway Business After Hours, Networking & Fun! Finger foods, beverages and an opportunity for attendees to drive race cars around the track! No cost!
- Thursday, 6/15 – 5:30pm – 7:30pm – Mambrino King Business After Hours, Networking and a complimentary drink at a unique local business.
- Friday, 6/16 – Noon – 1:30pm – Hot Dog Roast @ American Grille, 7901 Seneca St., Elma –– Wrap up the week in a fun, informal way with local business owners and friends!
No cost for hot dog roast. Cash bar.
We invite area business people to join us at any or all of the events this week.
Please RSVP for each event by calling the Chamber office at 652-8444 or email email@example.com.